There are so many instances in which I feel like I don’t have control. I mean… have you ever tried to reason with a toddler? Parenting at this stage (and who am I kidding, probably at any stage) is an exercise in learning to live without control. The world’s problems are so great and the solutions can seem so very far out of reach. But I’m here today to say that while we may not be able to solve all the problems in all the places just by the swipe of a card, we do have a profound power to affect positive change simply by the ways and places in which we choose to spend our money. Yes. I’m talking about responsible consumerism and social enterprises. We have more power than we think!
Political voting may have closed (for now), but the opportunity to affect change in our world is still here and it’s so much easier than it may seem. All you have to do is buy something! Let’s put our money where our values are this season and buy from businesses that are producing responsibly and give back generously.
Tune in via iTunes or below for my version of a holiday gift guide that will make a difference.
- Branded Collective – Tiny Brass Cuff
- Gaia Empowered Women – Mini Kitty Purse (Paula Minni’s Style Story)
- Tribe Alive – Convertible Pocket Backpack (Carly Burson’s podcast episode)
- Nisolo – The Emilio Chukka Boot (2012 Dhaka factory fire as mentioned in podcast)
- Accompany – Jute Macramé Wall Hanging
- Noonday Collection – Fringed Crescent Earrings
- FashionABLE – Ring Bar
- 48 & Sea – Flour Sack Napkins in Dusty Rose, Set of 4
- The Citizenry – Enzi Basket
- Ten Thousand Villages
Sources I didn’t mention in the podcast but you should still totally check out!
- Mi Golondrina – Tuxedo con Flor (Cristina Lynch’s Style Story)
- Worn – Vintage Silk Crochet-Edged Scarf (Abbi Ice’s Style Story)
- Redone Jeans (thanks for the rec B. Jones Style)
- Akola Project – Layered Horn Necklace
- Redemption Market – Gold Marble Journal
- Cuyana – Poplin Boatneck Tee
- Owynn – The Market Tote in Olive
- Zady – Zady Silk Skirt
- Sseko Designs – Yoga Mat Bag
- Girlfriend Collective – Leggings (for the cost of shipping!)
- Vee Caravan – Striped White Ceramic Mug
- Etsy – My shop favorites
- The Good Trade (a fantastic reference site for all things ethical fashion!)
Photography by Angie Garcia (she works with bloggers and is fantastic!)